Consultancy for Baseline Survey/ Girls Empowerment Expansion
Catholic Relief Services/Ethiopia
Program: Girls Empowerment Expansion Project
Proposed Start Date: During the months of July and August2018.
Consultant to provide Services: Baseline Survey-Reaching for their potential: GEP Expansion Project
Project Duration: 30 working days
Location: GEP Expansion Woredas inArsi and West Arsi zone
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partner’s people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
In Ethiopia, CRS has a long and rich history of providing emergency relief and development assistance to the people of Ethiopia since 1958. At present, CRS/Ethiopia implements multiple projects through different partner organizations. CRS/Ethiopia has a highly diverse portfolio currently focusing on community-based food and livelihood security through activities in agriculture, health, peacebuilding, WASH, emergency relief, and savings and lending. CRS is active in nearly all regions of Ethiopia: Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Southern Nations, Nationalities, and Peoples' Region (SNNPR), Somali, BenishangulGumuz, Afar, and Dire Dawa Regions.
CRS strictly adheres to its Policy on Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults among its staff, consultants, volunteers, and affiliates. CRS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer: women, minorities and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
CRS ET has been implementing a three years Girls’ Empowerment Project (GEP) since October 2015 in the East Shoa Zone, with an aim of empowering rural girls aged 12-19 to more fully reach their potential. To scale up the project’s successes and expand its reach, CRS committed additional fund to implement another GEP in four expansion Woredas of Arsi and West Arsi Zones starting from October 2017.
The expansion project intends to design a detailed Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) plan. The baseline is an important element in the MEAL plan, enabling us to understand the current situation of girls in the project area, regarding their empowerment and aiming to identify tools and approaches to measure project indicators. The baseline will also be important to set benchmarks for performance indicators and lay the ground for evaluation the impact by the end of the project period. Therefore, CRS Ethiopia is seeking to hire a consultant to undertake this baseline survey for the GEP Expansion Project.
Purpose and objective of the baseline survey consultancy
The purpose of the consultancy is to collect baseline data on key performance indicators which will be used to measure beneficiary girls’ progress over the course of the project implementation.
- To set benchmarks for major project performance indicators which can be used for evaluation the impact by the end of the project period;
- To provide information which can be used to plan and monitor the project over the course of implementation;
- To identify/explore key focus areas for implementation and learning.
The following key deliverables will be required from the consultants:
- Draft and revised inception report;
- Selection and training of enumerators, in collaboration with GEP implementing partner;
- Data collection, supervision of enumerators, and spot checking on a regular basis;
- Both quantitative and qualitative raw data in the appropriate format, and data tabulation and analysis command files;
- Data analysis, report writing and sharing of first draft baseline report;
- Draft baseline survey report and workshop to validate draft report of the baseline survey;
- Final report of 35-45 pages excluding attachments and addressing feedbacks on the draft;
- Relevant reference documents used during the baseline survey.
Duration of the assignment
The baseline study consultancy work will take place during the month of July and August 2018 (for 30 working days) as of signing of the contract agreement.
Required Qualifications of the Consultant(s)
The consultant shall have:
- Minimum of Masters Degree in gender and development studies from a recognized institution.
- Specific experience on conducting qualitative and quantitative baseline studies on women/ girls’ empowerment and education sectors, preferably in the study area (Oromia region.
- Strong analytical, presentation and report writing skills in English language.
The consulting firm is required to submit the following documents:
- Technical proposal containing a proposed research approach (tools and methodologies) and activities schedule/ work plan within the proposed timeframe;
- Financial proposal with detailed cost breakdown;
- Letters of satisfaction from clients depicting previous similar work performed;
- CVs of consultant/s and references.
The deadline for submission of both technical and financial proposals is before or on June 27, 2018. Soft copies of technical and financial proposals including CVs should be submitted through [email protected] the title of this SOW mentioned above on the subject line of your email.
Hard copies of financial and technical proposals could also be submitted to the following address: CRS/Ethiopia, P.O. Box-6592, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.