Catholic Relief Services/Ethiopia (CRS) seeks EOIs to shortlist potential consultants before requesting detailed bids for Early Childhood Development Curriculum Adoption.
1. Purpose:Catholic Relief Services/Ethiopia (CRS) seeks EOIs to shortlist potential consultants before requesting detailed bids forEarly Childhood Development CurriculumAdoption.
2. Program background:
Established in 1943, Catholic Relief Services’ mission is to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas by working with needy communities irrespective of race, religion, ethnicity, or nationality. For over 70 years, CRS has a response to natural and man-made disasters affecting Ethiopia’s most vulnerable communities. CRS’ disaster mitigation and recovery projects in drought and flood-prone areas focus on agriculture, livestock, health, nutrition, and water and sanitation assistance. CRS also provides livelihood support to farmers and entrepreneurs, promotes gender equality, mobilizes for immunization, and addresses malnutrition.
Missionaries ofCharity (MOC) is an international religious congregation founded by Mother Teresa in Calcutta, India in 1950 to give wholehearted and free service to the poorest of the poor without discrimination based on race, color, language, religion, or nationality. MOC provides a safety net for the world’s neediest, intervening where more traditional and socially acceptable safety nets have failed. In Ethiopia, the MOC centers provide shelter, basic health care, and food to the most vulnerable populations namely mothers and their children, the elderly, disabled, terminally ill, developmentally challenged, and people living with chronic infections.
CRS and MOC have collective effort partnering together serving the poorest of the poor for nearly 50 years. For the last seven years, CRS has provided funding, technical support, and institutional capacity strengthening to MOC through public and private funding. With the currentThe Leona M. & Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust (HCT) funding, 7000 vulnerable children and adults are being fed every day. This food ration provides life-saving and sustaining support to some of the most vulnerable urban poor throughout Ethiopia.
To enhance current programming and build the capacity of the 17MOC centers, CRS is keen to provide capacity strengthening activities for the MOC Sisters and staff. CRS will conduct an assessment of current Early Childhood Care, Educationand Development (ECCD) practices in MOC centers in Ethiopia, develop Evidence-based developmentally and culturally appropriate ECCE curriculum responsive to the needs and context of children in MOC Curriculum and provide a tailored response to their needs. CRS has already developed a comprehensive 6 series module/curriculum for training ECCE caregivers, teachers, providers in Zambia, Malawi, Kenya, South Sudan, Cameroon, and Uganda. Using this curriculum, CRS has trained master trainers and TOTs (early childhood teachers, community volunteers, social workers, health volunteers, counselors, parents.CRSEthiopia will adoptthe curriculum to train MOC Sisters and caregivers on topics includingbasic ECCE for children under 5 years old, with focus on play-based early stimulation, positive parenting, health/WASH, nutrition, safety, developmentally and culturally appropriate early learning, assessment, including approaches to support special needs children improved
3. Objectives of ECCE Curriculum Development
The overall objective of adopting the ECCECurriculum is to assist CRS-Ethiopia and the MOC in implementing the three years “AddressingMissionaries of Charity Critical Needs Project” in line with the Ethiopian Government ECCE framework.
1. Adopt the ECCECurriculum tailored to MoCcontext by using a participatory method and involving all key stakeholders as appropriate (CRS technical ECCEE staff, MOC, ministries, childcare providers)
2. Provide TOT on) the adopted ECCEcurriculum for selected CRS MoC Staff and selected stakeholders
3. Develop viable intervention strategies and activitiesfor 3-years intervention of the project?
4. Develop Theory of Change pertaining to the project intervention
5. Based on the ECCE assessment result, develop viable intervention strategies and activities
6. Develop output and outcome indicators for the strategy objectives and interventions, including Detail Implementation Plan
CRS is seeking EOI froma potential consultant that has the following competencies:
• An advanced university degree in Early Childhood Development,Special Needs, Sociology, Psychology, Public Health or related Social Science disciplines with 5 years’ experience on Early Childhood program design, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in Early Childhood Development, is desirable
• Five Years of demonstrable experience on Early Childhood Care and Education Development
• Previoushands-on experience in Early Childhood Curriculum Development or similar;
• Good understanding andknowledge about the Ethiopian National Policy FrameWork for Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE);
• Proven track record in conducting Training for Trainers in Early Child Hood development, child survival strategies,Child growth development,Alternative Childcare for OVC etc.;
• Experience in developing a comprehensive report.
• Written and spoken fluency in English is required.
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and oral and written communication skills, and a demonstrated ability to deliver a high-quality product
• Experience indeveloping curriculum;
• An effective facilitator with proven ability to engage and train a group of individuals;
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
• Attention to detail and ability to deliver on deadlines;
• Proven track record in interfacing with regional and national ministries of health, education, women and children affairs office is an advantage;
• Familiarity with local context and appropriate knowledge of regional and national level Early childhood policies and programs;
• Knowledge and Understanding of the Ethiopian National Health Policy, National Nutrition Strategy and the National Policy and Legal Framework on Child Right Ethiopia desirable.
5. Expected deliverables
The consultant expected to deliver the following:
• Based on National/regional ECCEstandards, developan ECCECurriculum tailored to CRS/Eth and MoCpolicies and strategies
• Conduct TOT using theadapted curriculum for selected CRS and MoC Key Staffs/ to be Master Trainers
• Develop ECCE Theory of Change for the ECCE Program
• Clearly identify and stipulate viable ECCE strategy objectives and intervention activities
• Clearly articulate the outputs and outcome indicators of the proposed interventions and activities
• Prepare a Detail Implementation Plan for the identified activities
3a.CRS Delivery Schedule (if applicable):If selected, the consultant will be expected to complete the above-mentioned deliverables by May 15,2019.
3b.Timeline for Contract:Start date will be dependent on consultancy proposal on how to submit the deliverables as per the above-mentioned delivery date.
6. Submission of Expression of Interest (EOI)
CRS invites consultant capable of providing (from section 3 above) their EOIs. Interested consultants/firms are requested to complete and submit below EOI form.
In order to be considered as a potential consultant should submit their Expression of Interest including the following information:
Please note that responses received without the information below will not be considered.
- Contact information (full name and address, country, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, ofthe contact person)
- A brief presentation of experience and year in the field
- Reference of examples of projects that your organization has implemented within the last five years which are relevant to this application in terms of field of expertise.
EOIs can be sent by e-mail or delivered in person, (max. six pages including annexes), to the address and contact person below. Please indicate “CRS/EthiopiaECCE Curriculum Development” on all submissions.
This call for Expression of Interest does not constitute a solicitation. We do not require proposals and prices at this stage; we merely seek your expression of interest in participating in the tender.
A response to this Request for Expression of Interest does not automatically ensure that you will be selected to participate in the tender.
CRSreserves the right to change or cancel the requirement at any time during the EOI and/or solicitation process. CRS also reserves the right to require compliance with additional conditions as and when issuing the final solicitation documents. A response to this Request for Expression of Interest does not automatically ensure that you will be selected to participate in the tender.
7. CRS Contact Information: