TechnoServe (TNS Call for Expert ConsultancyBEEKEEPING INPUTS MARKET SYSTEM ANALYSIS & STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT
Call for Expert Consultancy
BEEKEEPING INPUTS MARKET SYSTEM ANALYSIS & STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT
TechnoServe (TNS) is a non-profit international development organization founded in 1968. Our
mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women break the cycle of poverty by building businesses that create jobs, income, and economic opportunities for their families, their communities, and their
countries. Through our Honey Contract Farming Project, TechnoServe is helping to address the challenges of Ethiopia’s fragmented honey supply chain through a holistic approach that focuses on increasing incomes for men and women smallholder beekeepers in Oromia, Tigray and SNNPR regions.
Objective of the Assignment:
The purpose of this report is to gather data and analyze in a way that will help our team deeply
understand the beekeeping input market system. This will enable the design of more impactful, market- based interventions.
Design and conduct a beekeeping inputs market systems study of honey, prioritizing specific areas within Oromia, Tigray and SNNPR regions. The Consultant will formulate research questions and
collect primary data from actors on the ground in the various regions. While conducting this input study, the Consultant will consider gender roles and highlight opportunities for input interventions that increase women’s participation in smallholder honey production.
1. Assess men and women smallholder beekeepers’ usage of inputs, including quality of hives and color of hives in use, in prioritized areas
2. Identify and assess relevant market actors and their roles within the input value chain in each area, including a profile and assessment of hive manufacturers that details their production capacity, quality of hives, and hive distribution capabilities
a. Assessment should include major relevant market actors in centralized manufacturing cities as well
3. Identify and assess relevant major market actors and their roles within the honey value chain in each area, focusing on Tej producers, SME processors, SME input suppliers, processors, local collectors and traders, and financial institutions
4. Assess the cost, profit, marketing, and supply and demand dynamics of the value chain
a. Including an assessment of major input suppliers located in centralized manufacturing cities
5. Identify the supply and demand for a range of beekeeping inputs used in each geographic area
6. Identify market linkages and assess strength of linkage between actors. Identify constraints, strengths, and opportunities in the market
7. Analyze supporting functions that enable the supply-demand transaction