Farm Africa... Proposal For consultancy service for Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Extremes and Disasters
Request for Proposal
(For Meteorological research consultancy service)
Building Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Extremes and Disasters (BRACEDX)
The current climate conditions, more than ever demand, understanding of existing situations and coordination mechanisms among meteorological services providers, stakeholders and users. In its technical guidance, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has put the necessary works needed to assist National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) in the formulation of a National Framework for Climate Services/NFCS. Four organizations are partnering in the establishment of an NFCS in Ethiopia.
Farm Africa together with Christian Aid, National Meteorological Agency (NMA) of Ethiopia and Mercy Corps is currently implementing a DFID Funded BRACED-X programe under the project Climate and Meteorological Service Advancement in Ethiopia /CMESA-E/ starting from 1st January 2018 to 31 March 2019. The project mainly focuses on establishing a National Framework for Climate Services for enhancing climate service in the country.
Including establishing an NFCS, the project has three major outputs. The second output termed as development of knowledge and evidence base for advancing applied meteorological services which is designed to be addressed by carrying out research works on top prioritized research themes. Hence, to meet the focus of the second output, top research topics have been identified by panel of scientist and further refined by one of the project technical working groups and got approved.
In line with this, Farm Africa is planning to hire a team of consultants (with a maximum of 3 members) for conducting research under the title "Easily understandable national and regional weather and climate hazard map that includes drought, flood, frost, dust storm, hail, lightening, landslide, etc".The output of this research work will feed into the National Frame Work for Climate Services in Ethiopia.
These terms of reference (ToR) sets out the expectations for research work under the title given above for Climate and Meteorological Service Advancement in Ethiopia project.
Analyse existing gaps in understanding and use of data and weather & climate information provided to the user community by NMA due to technical nature of the data and information and produce a simplified guide to meteorological terminologies for stakeholders and end users in English and Amharic languages that can be easily understood by all users.
The specific objectives are:
• Make analysis of existing gaps to understand weather and climate data & information by the user communities
• Identify technical terms and scientific ways of information presentation used in all data and information provision of the Agency which could limit their potential use and are subjected to different interpretation
• Produce a guide in English and Amharic which contains detail explanation of technical terms and scientific ways of presentation that can be easily understood by all users
8. Minimum qualification requirements
The consultant is expected to have:
• At least Master’s Degree in Climate Science / Environmental Science, Agro-Meteorology, Hydro Meteorology, Agriculture, Natural Resources Management or related discipline with at least 10 years of professional experience in the area. Holding a Ph.D. Degree is a plus.
• Proven experience in climate observations, climate outlook and early warning systems, fundamental climate research, climate risk assessment; DRR and Climate Change Adaptation.
• Proven experience in strategy formulation, policy planning, proposal writing, baseline/end line assessment and facilitation of high level consultation events.
• Proven excellent communication and writing skills with at least 5 years’ experience in participatory consultative process involving various stakeholders.
• Knowledge about NMA policies, rules and regulations, products and services, including knowledge about NFCS/GFCS is an advantageous.
• A team of consultants from Climate Science, Agriculture/Agro-Met/NRM and Hydrology/Hydro-Met with clearly defined roles is preferable for the work.
• The team of consultants should include at least one officially assigned representative from National Meteorological Agency of Ethiopia and applicants should apply with a renewed ,vat registered license for 2019 .ToR is available till Feb 28,2019 which is a deadline for this application.
• Interested service providers/bidders should collect the terms of reference (TOR) and expression of interest (EOI) from our office or may also request via [email protected]; and can submit their EOI with financial proposals in sealed bids to our reception desk or send directly to our bidding email - [email protected] until February 28, 2019
Farm Africa Ethiopia Office
Hussein Agraw Bldg. 6th floor, Kanzanchis
Tel. 011 557 3317, Fax- 011 557 3332,
Melkamsew Solomon, Climate Information Communication Specialist: [email protected]
Negusu Aklilu, Chief of Party : [email protected]