Farm Africa Request for Expression of Interest (EOI) for Providing Weather and Market Information to Smallholders through SMS Service
Request for Expression of Interest (EOI) for Providing Weather and Market Information to Smallholders through SMS Service
Agriculture is the backbone of Ethiopian’s economy. It is the source of livelihood for nearly 83% of the population in the country. However, the agriculture sector in Ethiopia is facing a number of challenges that ranges from natural resources degradation to climate change and variability that affects productivity and food security. Specifically, climate change is affecting agricultural sector more than anticipated, making adapting the sector to effects of climate change deserves priority attention.
Cognizant to this problem Farm Africa with the fund support from CTA has embarked a project called “Accelerating the Uptake of Climate-smart Agriculture for Improved Agricultural Productivity of Smallholder Farmers in Halaba, HaderoTuntu and Damot Gale woredas in SNNPRS of Ethiopia”. The objective of the project is to improve agricultural productivity and adaptive capacity to climate uncertainties for smallholder farmers, through accelerated field uptake of CSA bundle of CSA practices using ICT tools. The major project activities focus on providing bundle of CSA practices and comprises mainly the following three areas:
• ICT-based (SMS, and FM radio based) climate information & advisory services,
• Improved climate-smart farming practices
• ICT-based market information
Purpose and key tasks
The purpose of this task is to provide timely weather and market information for target beneficiaries (farming households, cooperatives and private sectors) thus will help them to improve their agricultural productivity and income. The major tasks includes the following;
1. To conduct assessment/baseline in the project implementation area related with weather and market information
2. Develop training materials on SMS plat form and provide technical training for Farm Africa and government staffs as well as lead farmers on dissemination of SMS based market and weather information.
3. Establish system for SMS based market and weather information providing platform
4. To provide SMS based market information two times a week and weather forecast every ten days to at least 1,000 lead farmers as well as monthly/quarterly seasonal forecast for selected beneficiaries for the period of 15 months.
1. Legally certified institute to provide ICT based weather and market info through SMS and related mechanisms.
2. Expert in preparation of training documents and provision of trainings on SMS platforms related to market and weather information sharing platforms.
3. The service provider should have a minimum of five years’ practical experience in the field
4. Demonstrated academic and practical experience in conducting training to field practitioners.
5. Strong analytical, facilitation and communication skills.
6. Excellent skill in writing standard training modules and reports.
Deadline and Submission of Documents:
1. Interested service providers/bidders should collect the terms of reference (TOR) and expression of interest (EOI) from our office or may also request via [email protected]; and can submit their EOI with financial proposals in sealed bids to our reception desk or send directly to our bidding email - [email protected] until November 10, 2018;
2. Proposals submitted by unqualified bidders; and those arriving later than the final submission date and time shall be rejected without further notice;
3. Farm Africa for this task reserve the right to accept or reject any or all the proposals;
4. Any Request for clarifications/enquiries can be forwarded to [email protected] or using the following address:
Farm Africa Ethiopia Office Hussein Agraw Bldg. 6th floor,
Kanzanchis, adjacent to Enat Bank Tel. 011 557 3317, Fax- 011 557 3332,