EU RESET PLUS YOUTH EMPOWERMENT FOR SUCESSFUL TRANSTION TO DECENT WORK CONSULTANT TO ADAPTAND DEVELOP PACKAGES OF YOUTH EMPLOY ABILITY SKILLS [LIFE SKILLS]TRAINING CURRICULA FOR AMHARA AND SOMALI REGIONS (INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANCY
TERMS OF REFERENCE
EU RESET PLUS YOUTH EMPOWERMENT FOR SUCESSFUL TRANSTION TO DECENT WORK
CONSULTANT TO ADAPTAND DEVELOP PACKAGES OF YOUTH EMPLOY ABILITY SKILLS [LIFE SKILLS]TRAINING CURRICULA FOR AMHARA AND SOMALI REGIONS (INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANCY)
Youth empowerment is EU-funded 42 months’ project targeting unemployed and under employed youth living in eight woredas of Sitti and Waghemera zones (four in each zones) in Somali and Amhara regional states respectively.The action is jointly implemented by Save the Children, the lead organization, OXFAM, Organization for Rehabilitation and development of Amhara (ORDA) and UNISOD. The action will also partner with relevant government authorities such as bureau of Labor and Social Affairs (BOLSA), Bureau of Youth and Sport (BOYS), and Burea of Women and Children Affairs(BOWCA), Technical and vocational Education training agency (TVET), Small Scale and Micro Enterprises Development agency (SMD) etc., – at Regional, Zonal and woreda level.The overall objective of this action is to enable vulnerable young men and women (aged 15 -29) to successfully transition to decent jobs primarily through wage employment. There are seven key results the action aims at achieving in its 42 months (April 2018 – June 2021) life time. These are :(1)Youth have improved economic opportunities; (2) youth transition to decent , wage based – work; (3) Youth have improved assets and financial literacy ; (4) community attitudes change positively towards wage employment in “market sheds” ;(5) entry level work opportunities are available to youth through on –job training and mentoring mechanism ; (6) private and public sector participation have increased in supporting transition to work in urban areas ;and (7 )transparency and functioning of the job market has improved. Under this project,SC and its partners are tasked with delivering packages of employability and life skill training and coaching manuals that includes life skill and empowerment,literacy and numeracy and financial literacy.
The objective of this consultancy is to provide technical expertise in adaptation of SC global packages of curricula on youth employ ability and life skill training and coaching manuals adaptation. The main deliverable is: the production of three interrelated training curricula for youth aged 15 -29 and other an cillary manuals for mentors, trainers and participants, drawing on existing curricula provided by SC,
Detailed Description of Tasks
The work will take place over up to a maximum of 45 days between 15 August and 31 September 2018, primarily in Addis Ababa(although some travel to the two zones is likely). It will be undertaken in close collaboration with the co-authors and master trainers who improved and further developed the three curricula, both of which have been widely used in Ethiopia.The consultant’s activities will focus on the following tasksto be carried out in close collaboration with the SC team and partners:
• Adapt an existing, high quality life skill /empowerment manual /curriculum (approximately 45 –hours in length) to the project context.The curriculum likely will draw on a training program currently in use in Ethiopia developed by Save the Children under POTENTIAL and Youth in Action Projects
• Adapt an existing, high quality and youth-appropriate financial literacy curriculumfor youth with low educational level and skill to the project context.The source curriculum is expected to be a 20-hour training program currently in use in Ethiopia and developed by Save the Children under Youth in action project.
• Adapt an existing, high quality and youth-appropriate functional literacy and numeracy training guidelines, tools and materials to the project context. The source curriculum is expected to be existing Ethiopian ministry of education literacy and numeracy training materials and Save the Children developed materials in Youth in Action project,
However, the consultant should feel at liberty to suggest other potential curricula in her/his proposal deemed to be relevant to the operational context of this particular program in all the cases above. It is also essential to refer to Save the Children’s high quality and globally proven life skills for success common approach as well as existing, high quality and youth-appropriate life skills training guidelines, (if any) from TVETs or other training institutions.
The assignment requires engagement of pertinent Government actors [TVETs, ministry of education, Ministry of Women and Children affairs etc..] in the design or development of the life skills guideline.The consultant will coordinate her/his activities with SC senior technical staff and with the technical manager of this project.
Qualifications and Experience
The Consultant must have the following qualifications and experience:
• MA in Education and curricula development or other equivalent disciplines
• 8-15 years of direct related consultancy working experience
• Experience with design, planning, and/or delivery of training of trainers programs in life skill and empowerment,financial capabilities, youth livelihoods, literacy and numeracy and/or economic strengthening.
• Extensive experience with the creation and/or adaptation of life skills and empowerment, financial capabilities, livelihoods, and/or economic strengthening training materials for adults and/or youth in Ethiopian context (minimum: at least one material /curriculum / manuals / course in the past five years).
• Good understanding of the Amhara and Somali region contexts
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Fluency in Amharic, including excellent writing skills.
• Strong reading and speaking skills in English required; excellence in writing English is a plus.
• Fluency in one or more other languages spoken in Ethiopia: Amhara and Somali region is desirable.
How to Apply
Save the Children invites those who are interested and fulfill the above criteria are eligible to apply to HR, Save the Children International Office located around Old Airport, Near Bisrate Gabriel Church at Dire Building) within 7 consecutive week days starting from October 19, 2018 - October 30, 2018. A technical proposal (with bibliography, annexes and the additional submission components noted below) should describe the consultant’s approach to the adaptation, design of the proposed training packages manuals. Applicants are encouraged to describe their experiences with developing youth employ ability training packages and related field, as well as any follow-on “shadowing and mentoring” of experiences of the trainers or facilitators they have. The proposal must be prepared in English and delivered electronically (Using CD) in Microsoft Word or a Word-compatible format (annexes or additional submission materials can be provided in PDF).A simplified budget must be presented in Microsoft Excel, or an Excel-compatible spreadsheet format, rather than in PDF, and delivered electronically (Using CD). They must include a proposed daily rate (in Ethiopian Birr.Costs that will be under the consultant agreement and will include LOE, travel and other administrative expenses. Please outline all relevant consultant costs in the budget submission.In addition to the proposal and budget, all applications must also include:
CV or résumé , A summary (3 pages maximum) of expertise and experience highlighting those aspects that are particularly relevant to development of employ ability training curriculum, Name and full contact details for three relevant references that SC will contact directly if the consultant’s application reaches the final evaluation stage and A writing sample in either Amharic or English, preferably sole-authored and related to financial capabilities or other economic strengthening training (e.g., guidance, manuals, ToT curricula, etc.)
Those who satisfy the criteria indicated above will be considered for selection and those who win the offer shall be awarded the jobs. Applicants are expected to submit their copy of TIN number and Trade License. SC shall withhold 2% if the individual consultant has a TIN number & License or 30% where he/she does not have a TIN number & License as per the Ethiopian Tax legislation.